[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 19 18:02:29 PDT 2008

    As far as I can understand the Adobe Utopia font
    (http://tug.org/fonts/utopia ) could be modified and used for
    designing, for example, OFL font. Could anybody clarify me the terms
    of this license?

Well, I'm the one who pushed Adobe into updating the license to make the
modification status clear(er), but I'm not sure how much clarification I
can offer.

I haven't deeply thought about every word of every clause, but I think
the Utopia license is compatible with the OFL; at least nothing jumps
out at me as being incompatible.  So I guess you could modify Utopia and
distribute the result as OFL (your parts) + Utopia (original parts).
As long as you change all the names to not use the word "Utopia" or
"Adobe".

I also guess you should say "Portions of these fonts are:
Copyright 1989, 1991 Adobe ...
... Used under license." as stated in LICENSE-utopia.txt.

Another (simpler) option is just to keep the whole thing under the
Utopia license.

karl