[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 20 16:22:31 PDT 2008

    * the font would need to be modified (reasonably)

Well, that's the only time the whole question comes up.

    * the font would need to be renamed, or if same name kept, or similar
    name, authorization needed by Adobe

I agree.

    * then, group outlined in the license adobe provides, TEX user group,

No, TUG has no rights to change any licensing -- we (er, I am the
president of TUG) only have the right to sublicense under the agreement
Adobe made with us, which we did.

The agreement explicitly says that Adobe retains copyright ownership.
See lines 51ff of LICENSE-utopia.txt.

So if you want to get the original license changed to the OFL, it's
Adobe you have to get to do that.  Good luck.

    would need to make another license, preferably OFL which respects
    adobe's first license

I fail to see why you say that.  As I explained, I personally believe
anyone can make a new font based on Utopia where the "original" parts
are under the Utopia license and the new parts are under the OFL.
If you want to go that way.  (I wouldn't, myself.)

    Sound like a plan? Anyone interested in updating/rescuing this font?

I don't think the term "rescue" is appropriate.  Terry O'Donnell of
Adobe, others at Adobe, and I spent a whole lot of time truly rescuing
Utopia from its *previous* state, where the redistribution of modified
versions was in an ambiguous state, and various free software
pseudo-lawyers (no one else) insisted on the worst possible
interpretation.

Now the fonts are clearly free.  My advice is, enjoy them.

karl