[Openfontlibrary] Generating Font Samples

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:42:12 PDT 2008

Hi, Denis et al.,

Of course fontconfig's "fc-list" utility already provides most of this
kind of functionality, i.e.,

    ~> fc-list :lang=ja
              IPAUIGothic,IPA UIゴシック:style=Regular
              Unicode BMP Fallback SIL,Spanish Unicode BMP Fallback
SIL:style=Regular
              Sazanami Mincho,さざなみ明朝:style=Mincho-Regular,Regular
              WenQuanYi Zen Hei,文泉驛正黑,文泉驿正黑:style=Medium,中等

Continuing the discussion about creating an interactive fonts web
site, it would not be difficult to have a PHP, Python, or similar
web-based application just call fc-list to query which fonts supported
a given orthography.

As the fc-list output above suggests, human interpretation of the
result set is still needed. SIL's "Unicode BMP Fallback" does have a
glyph for every Japanese character, but would not really be a readable
choice for Japanese.  WenQuanYi Zen Hei also has Japanese characters,
but Japanese people may dislike the glyph styles since WenQuanYi is
really a Chinese font.  Nevertheless, using fc-list as an
off-the-shelf solution to start with makes sense.

Best -- Ed