[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

George Williams gww at silcom.com
Wed May 21 21:08:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 13:02, Christopher Fynn wrote:
> In the case of Type 1 Fonts like Adobe Utopia what additional information
> (not in the Type 1 Font file & metrics file) would a Fontographer source
> file provide anyway?
Well, kerning and ligatures live in the afm. But I presume that would
also be available.

So what does a fog file provide that the pfb/afm combination doesn't?
  1) guidelines
	(to establish xheight, capheight, etc.)
  2) background images (and splines)
	(used for tracing outlines)
  3) diagonal hints (useless for PostScript fonts)

The fog file can also contain bitmaps, but I presume that if those
existed there would be bdf files for them.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.