[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed May 21 22:41:25 PDT 2008

George Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 13:02, Christopher Fynn wrote:

>> In the case of Type 1 Fonts like Adobe Utopia what additional information
>> (not in the Type 1 Font file & metrics file) would a Fontographer source
>> file provide anyway?
> Well, kerning and ligatures live in the afm. But I presume that would
> also be available.

AFM is what I meant by "metrics file".

> So what does a fog file provide that the pfb/afm combination doesn't?
>   1) guidelines
> 	(to establish xheight, capheight, etc.)

Shouldn't the AFM file contain the values for Ascender, Descender, XHeight &
CapHeight?

In the case of Latin fonts  these values are usually pretty easy to derive anyway.

Stems and alignment zones are also in the font files

>   2) background images (and splines)
> 	(used for tracing outlines)

*If* they traced the outlines in Fontographer.

>   3) diagonal hints (useless for PostScript fonts)

Since Adobe were making only PostScript fonts - I doubt if there would be
diagonal hints.

> The fog file can also contain bitmaps, but I presume that if those
> existed there would be bdf files for them.

There is a good chance Adobe developed Utopia using something other than
Fontographer anyway.

> I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

The  point was that in the case of Type 1 fonts there may be little or
no useful extra information contained in the Fontographer "source" file.
Anyway the font files themselves are probably readable by many more
applications that the Fontographer files.

Something like the designers original sketches for the font might be
far more useful to anyone wanting to extend a font like Utopia ...

- Chris