[Openfontlibrary] LGM?

Pierre Marchand pierremarc at oep-h.com
Sat May 24 00:29:15 PDT 2008

Vous (Jon Phillips) avez écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 14:28 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le Mar 20 mai 2008 23:49, Nicolas Spalinger a écrit :
> > > As for packaging the distro font teams are already taking care of
> > > that,
> > > IMHO what the OFLB community need to do now is have clear guidelines
> > > for
> > > contributors and review/clarify the current uploads according to these
> > > guidelines.
> >
> > I think that as of packaging there is still the problem of:
> > 1. helping OFLB publish fonts in an easy-to-package state
>
> What options are there? I would say just tarball...I've been thinking
> about an open content packaging standard recently...is there a good
> format that can be used by fonts and others? The main model is source
> packages with README, INSTALL, etc.

I don’t know for the "etc." but for README & INSTALL files I think they are
not needed. Since you can embed informations about the font in the font file
itself and installation of new fonts isn’t an issue anymore with
Fontconfig --- used directly or through a GUI program.

About the package format, I’d vote for some ZIP flavour. But I’m biased, it’s
just because it would save me effort :-) I get a RFE for Fontmatrix about
exploring & installing fonts yet packed in ZIP (I think it’s related to the
fact that font web sites distribute F.O.C. fonts this way).

my 2¢

--
Pierre Marchand
http://www.oep-h.com