[Openfontlibrary] The Next Version of OFLB

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 19:10:13 PDT 2008

Hi, Dave,

I took only a quick look at the TODO wiki page you mentioned:

> Default tags for upload pages- do we want more than: african, arabic, asian,
> cyrillic, fantasy, latin, monospace, sans_serif, script, serif, symbol

Yes.

I'm not sure what "default tags for upload pages" actually means, but
I think the list of categories is not yet completely thought-out ...
One question I have is will it be possible to have multiple tags on
one font, say if I want to upload an "African" "sans-serif" font?

For the geographic categories, I would have something much more along
the lines of what I have got on
http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/NewUnifontDesign2/  (which, for
those who haven't seen this yet, is an incomplete revision of my
unifont.org font guide):

* The Americas : Fonts for Indigenous American languages : Includes
Latin, Cherokee, and Unified Canadian Syllabic orthography fonts.
* African: Includes Latin and indigenous non-Latin orthography fonts.
Since Arabic is used extensively in North Africa, a note alerts users
that Arabic fonts are included in the Middle East section.
* Middle East includes at least Arabic, Hebrew, and Syriac.
* Europe has Latin, Latin & Greek, LGC, Armenian, and Georgian sub-categories.
* Central Asia has Tibetan, Uyghur (which is really an Arabic
orthography), and Mongolian.  It could also conceivably have a
Cyrillic sub-category.
* South Asia would be for the fonts covering the major orthographies of India.
* Southeast Asia covers the many Indic-derived orthographies, as well
as Latin-based orthographies such as Vietnamese
* East Asia: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Yi.

I won't elaborate on the style categories at this point -- those may
also require more thought and additional categories.

>> the file itself). Something like:
>> url(http://openfontlibrary.org/people/benweiner/2.0/Puritan_Regular.otf)
>> url(http://openfontlibrary.org/people/benweiner/Puritan_Regular-2.0.otf)

For the URL format, should it not be something more like the following instead?:

http://openfontlibrary.org/people/benweiner/Puritan_Regular/2.0/Puritan_Regular-2.0.otf

- Ed