[OpenFontLibrary] Font Myths

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 15:18:10 PST 2008

>Erm, SSI *LOST* a lawsuit again Adobe about font copyright. I'd  be
>very suspicous about those guys.
>

>Ah yes, SSI the outfit of the infamous Rev. Paul King - weren't they  the
>ones who "cloned" over 1,000 fonts designed by others and claimed  them
>as their own? When caught it seems they tried to blame it on the
>creators of the font editing software they were using. I'm wondering,
>does Fontfreedom intend to follow their lead on his new site?

Ok! Their information is suspect. I had never heard of this case against
them & they may have made some of this stuff up to try to defend  themselves or
deflect lawsuits.

It appears they opened the (copyrighted) fonts made by others in font
editing software, making slight changes and selling them. This is clearly wrong  and
illegal.

I'm annoyed that the law book I found it in would refer to such a
discreditable source! (Esp. Since this lawsuit happened 10 years ago!)

Sil has some interesting information about the lawsuit:

_http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=UNESCO_Font_
Lic_
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=UNESCO_Font_Lic)
Holiday needs. Search Now.