[OpenFontLibrary] Expat License

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Nov 16 04:31:08 PST 2008

2008/11/16  <Fontfreedom at aol.com>:
>>    - MIT/X11/Expat (much better than PD)
>>
>>As long as we're being dogmatic, I think we should recommend Expat and
>>not mention MIT, X11, modified BSD, ISC, etc., etc.  Expat is the only
>>one of that family which has an unambiguous name and meaning.  (Again,
>>that does not actively rejecting a font using mBSD.)

I think if we want to be all permissive, we should (a) decide to
accept any permissive FS license as policy (I think this is "DONE" :-)
(b) decide to put anything other than the recommended all permissive
license in the moderation queue (I think this is "DONE" but I'm less
sure) (c) decide what our "default" all permissive license should be.

The "positioning" of our recommended licenses is crucial. I think
overtly we only recommend the OFL, but on the upload form we have 4
license choices: "a free license (moderation)" "OFL" "$permissive
license" "GPL-OFLB-style"

I think all these funny named licenses mean nothing to most type
designers, so they should not be used.

"Public Domain" is recognised in every day language. It is what we
have today. I think there is a strong case for keeping it - unless
something concrete happens with "authors rights" being retracted in
the whole wide free software community. The problems with PD are all
theoretical problems that have not yet effected anyone, as far as I
know.

Perhaps when CC-Zero comes out, we can switch to that. That would be
good, CC has a lot of recognition and referring to them helps widen
recognition of the whole free culture thing. But the Non Commercial CC
licenses are a bit iffy, if we recommend CC too much, we might get
CC-NC fonts appearing in the moderation queue.

I have one suggestion: We could use the "Do What The Fuck You Want To
Public License" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL

----------- 8< --------
           DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                   Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Your Name
Your, Address, Some, Place, Nice.
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

           DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
  TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

 0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.