[OpenFontLibrary] OFL problems, IPA License annoyances

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Apr 7 01:52:04 PDT 2009

Le Mar 7 avril 2009 10:09, Dave Crossland a écrit :

> 2009/4/7 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
>>
>> They would have been better advised to lay minimal conditions in
>> simple words and not let their lawyers pile up unrelated fell-good
>> material in the licensing.
>
> Given I basically like the OFL, which is worded as you suggest, I
> agree :-)
>
> What do you think about Perens criticism of the OFL?

I think he may have a point. Though addressing his point should not
require full rewrite of the license, just of the problem paragraph
(another bit should be clarifying the renaming clauses and make it
clear they're an option authors can shoose not to exercise).

Also, even if the OFL was perfected, the FSF has sufficient moral
clout that we need a GPL-ish FSF-endorsed font license, because many
people will just refuse to use anything else.

--
Nicolas Mailhot