[OpenFontLibrary] OFL problems, IPA License annoyances

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 8 02:15:59 PDT 2009

2009/4/8 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:

> I don't want this to turn into a flamewar, but consider that new font
> projects are being started all the time. They're choosing their
> license now. Later for the usual reasons it will be very difficult to
> make them switch. It would be much nicer for them if they could start
> with an OFL version everyone agreed was solid (even if the
> disagreement is not tastefully expressed).

Are you able to access a software copyright lawyer?

If someone is, is SIL willing to engage them in drafting a OFLv1.2 to
sort this specific, speculative problem about extraction, and pehraps
also sort Peren's general idea that the license ought to be tuned to
legalese?

I obviously speak for them in no way, but I'm not sure they are
willing to do that.

If they are not, I personally would rather see access to software
copyright lawyer applied to sorting out a "GPLv3 Font" license.