[OpenFontLibrary] Sample images

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Tue Apr 14 02:39:42 PDT 2009

&IMHO
it will be the users getting acquinted with the possibility of high
quality type with liberal licences,
that will topple the debate
The internet is a tribalistic affair at the moment, which easily
creates an us-versus-them mentality,
Which I think is not representative of the actual situation

There is no such thing as the ‘type industry’ anymore,
Because there is no infrastructure of technology and capital you have
to adhere to in order to be considered a type designer.

You just have to be good, and good at showing you are good.

I am sure that there are major type developers just waiting for the
right moment to abandon traditional licensing;
because they see the value of their product is not in it’s licensing,
but in its typographic quality and fitness for the current situation
(which is IMHO on the screen).
And I’m sure there will actually be people who are able to think up
ways so that they actually make *more* money with more liberal
licensing than with traditional licensing.

On the user side, I know from experience that within design companies
there is a lot of dissatisfaction with current licensing, exactly
because of:

> total power of developers over users.

It’s not in their interest to be on the internet debating about all
that,
But when the possibility presents itself, and the quality is
sufficient, graphic designers will definitely start using liberally
licensed typefaces.

eric

Op 14 apr 2009, om 10:36 heeft Dave Crossland het volgende geschreven: