[OpenFontLibrary] AdBard?

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Thu Jun 4 11:24:06 PDT 2009

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do people feel about AdBard adverts of the OFLB site to raise
> money for development?

Well, I'd personally much rather see resources coming from another round
of funding by interested patrons like we discussed earlier and setting
up a goodies (t-shirts, etc) store.

I'm a bit worried about some ads reflecting badly on our community
goals ("A gazillion free fonts here" link) but the network of ads seem
to be FLOSS oriented. I guess it depends which ads come through and how
intrusive or not it is in the final design...

Also, is putting ads in line with the hosting and acceptable use policy
of our host @ the University of Oregon?

While we're on that subject I'd say it's useful to be as transparent as
possible about the way money interacts with our community: source of
funds and recipients while also recognizing the crucial non-commercial
contributions.

A fund for travels/meetups would be very useful too. Some of our core
OFLB community members wanted to go to LGM to talk about fonts and
interact with the others but sadly couldn't.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org