[OpenFontLibrary] Copyrights / Typefaces

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 18:19:41 PDT 2009

>On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 18:34 -0400, Joshua A.C. Newman  wrote:
>> Well, I need something both low-contrast and modern for this  project.
>> I might even start with DIN or Futura. Not sure yet. In any  event, I'm
>> pretty sure I don't have the subtlety of eye to deal with  Bodoni.
>
>Watch out that although typefaces designed by US citizens  in the US
>are not protected by copyright, other countries, and in  particular
>Germany, do have copyright for typeface designs...
>
>(and the US does have copyright treaties these days, so if a  design
>is copyright in Germany or Fance or the UK (say), that  copyright
>is to be respected in the US... although it might be hard  to
>enforce because of past cases)

No, the copyright treaties the United States has entered into specify  that
something copyrighted in a foreign country is not subject to copyright  in
the U.S. *unless* it would have been subject to copyright if it were made in
 the U.S. Typefaces are not subject to copyright in the U.S., no matter
where  they were made.

FF
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377052x1201454391/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun