[OpenFontLibrary] Terminology

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Wed May 13 02:16:31 PDT 2009

>He and I have been discussing this for at  least 2 years, and it seems
>we are unlikely to resolve this difference.  We both agree that "libre"
>solves both our problems, and although it  introduces problems of its
>own - it is not a native English word, and so  the meaning must be
>explained to most people - we are happy to focus on  that term as a
>compromise.
>
>Another alternative is to refer  to our fonts as "FLOSS fonts" instead
>of "libre fonts."

Perhaps  the closest english word is "liberty"? Font Liberty.

lib·er·ty  (lĭb'ər-tē)
n.   pl. lib·er·ties
    1.      1.  The  condition of being free from restriction or control.
    2.  The  right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a
manner of  one's own choosing.
    3.  The  condition of being physically and legally free from
confinement,  servitude, or forced labor. See Synonyms at _freedom_
(aoldb://mail/browse/freedom) .
    4.  A  breach or overstepping of propriety or social convention. Often
used  in the plural.
    5.  A  statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or
actualities: a  historical novel that takes liberties with chronology.
    6.  An  unwarranted risk; a chance: took  foolish liberties on the ski
slopes.
    2.  Freedom  from unjust or undue governmental control.
    3.  A  right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control
or  interference: the  liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.
    4.      1.  A  breach or overstepping of propriety or social
convention. Often used  in the plural.
    2.  A  statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or
actualities: a  historical novel that takes liberties with chronology.
    3.  An  unwarranted risk; a chance: took  foolish liberties on the ski
slopes.
    5.  A  period, usually short, during which a sailor is authorized to go
 ashore.
   The  American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition.  Houghton Mifflin Company,
2004._http://dictionary1.classic.reference.com/browse/Liberty_ (http://dictionary1.classic.reference.com/browse/Liberty)
(accessed: May 13,  2009).

**************Dell Mini Netbooks: Great deals starting at $299 after