[OpenFontLibrary] Site terminology: Free/Open/Libre

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sat May 30 08:35:35 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 11:30 -0300, minombresbond wrote:

> +1 "libre fonts"

Maybe the thing to do is to focus on the difference...
You can redistribute "libre" fonts (usually only under
a compatible licence); you can use them on the Web; you
can print with them; you can change them; you can redistribute
changed versions; anyone can get the source for your changes.

So, one could say "usable fonts", perhaps.

It's probably not a good idea to focus on quality yet -- a
trip to Adobe's or Linotype's font library gives a very
different experience today.  But we have fonts that don't have
to stay inside your organization, or on only five CPUs (how many
CPUs are there in my printer?) -- they are Fonts without Borders.

Liam