[OpenFontLibrary] Site terminology: Free/Open/Libre

ricardo lafuente bollecs at sollec.org
Sat May 30 09:24:40 PDT 2009

Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 11:30 -0300, minombresbond wrote:
>

>> +1 "libre fonts"

+1 for 'libre fonts' too. 'Open' brings me the memory of the free
software/open source ideological schism (maybe it's also because that's
how i always saw the terms). O

'Free' does have the 'as in beer'/'as in speech' ambiguity, as well as
'free font websites' being the term generally used by professional
typographers to decry the quality of no-cost fonts on the web...

...and the 'free' term might also get some spyware detectors crazy,
according to http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/090529-073506 ;p

> Maybe the thing to do is to focus on the difference...
> You can redistribute "libre" fonts (usually only under
> a compatible licence); you can use them on the Web; you
> can print with them; you can change them; you can redistribute
> changed versions; anyone can get the source for your changes.
>
> So, one could say "usable fonts", perhaps.

this would be a really interesting take in the debacle, as in
proprietary fonts being 'unusable'. I love this idea!