[OpenFontLibrary] A preview of the fonts on OFL (includes a backup of nearly all fonts and a way to download them)

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sun Feb 14 12:20:09 PST 2010

> Nicholas, do we have a package of our fonts?

Some of the quality open fonts published on the OFLB are already
packaged by the distro team in Debian/Fedora in their own package.
Packaging and the corresponding review and checking procedure is really
best left to distro teams and their members as it fits the best
packaging procedures and requirements for maintainership.

You will never use all the fonts together, putting the quality ones
without legal problems into a gigantic package doesn't make sense...

We need to fight against the stockpiling syndrome of getting as many
fonts as possible downloaded and only a few actually used.

IMHO you are make too much of a parallel with the specifics of the
community and the content approach of the Open Clipart Library. We're
not doing nor aiming to do the same thing with OFLB.

BTW newer versions of GNOME and KDE allow you to install fonts in the
font folders directly:

There's also this simple nautilus script:
http://utilities.open-fonts.org/Install_fonts

There's also
http://fontmatrix.net/ and
http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org