[OpenFontLibrary] Recent non-font content on OFLB

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Mar 10 13:46:24 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:24:58PM +0100, Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I can't but agree with you on the chronic deficiency of good,
> > typographically aware free software, apart from the 30 years old TeX,
> > in fact the only way to utilize goodies of OpenType fonts is by using
> > some variant of TeX (LuaTeX is my preferred). The free "DTP" application
> > can't even do simple things like standard ligatures!
>
> What about your experiments hooking up XeTex with Scribus?
>
> A more recent experiment is described here and points back to your work:
> http://www.gastarbeiter.se/post/2010/02/22/scribus-xetex-opentype
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8136
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8876

It turned out to be cumbersome and not very well integrated (the TeX
frame is essentially an isolated object that doesn't interact with the
rest of scribus), and I found that doing it all in TeX is much easier
and more powerful. So, I ended up using ConTeXt for the book I was
doing, and it never let me down.

There is actually some guy who got harfbuzz hooked into scribus, but, as
usual, scribus developers just ignored him[1].

[1] http://lists.scribus.info/pipermail/scribus-dev/2010-January/000509.html

Regards,
 Khaled

--