[OpenFontLibrary] Recent non-font content on OFLB

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Mar 11 13:10:19 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 08:12:31AM +0100, Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2010 06:23:51 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> > > With all due respect: Can you substantiate this assertion? I didn't find
> > > a single message from you to one of the Scribus MLs regarding the issue
> > > (although I may have overlooked it).
> >
> > I did (I'm not sure was it on IRC or on mailing list, it was like 3
> > years ago), I was even asked to provide some sort of test suit that I
> > sent, but my mails went unanswered, IIRC. And after all years, the
> > situation is the same; every time one asks about Arabic (or Indic, or
> > even OpenType for LGC scripts), we get a "we will do it after X release"
> > answer, where X kept changing.
>
> OK, you obviously have an axe to grind, although I think this is not
> necessary. If I may ask: where did you send your test suite? 3 years ago is a
> long time.
>
> Just to give you some background: The Scribus Team is _very_ small, which is
> why we welcome every contribution and suggestion. Since Scribus is a program
> that is expected to work on Linux, different Unix flavours, Windows, Mac OS X
> and even OS/2, it's a bit hard to use libraries that we'd have to port to
> some of these systems in addition to the Scribus code and which may or not be
> working with Qt.
>
> More importantly, we have two font and text layout experts, the first one
> being currently unable to work on the code due to reasons I cannot describe
> without violating his privacy, the other one being swamped with his job.
> Developer #2 is nevertheless working on a complete rewrite of the text system
> that will make enhancements like the one you need easier. It's just his wont
> to drop his rewrites in one go (that's when we usually announce the risk of a
> great breakage in SVN on the ML).
>
> That being said, I really think it would be more constructive to participate
> in a discussion with the developers instead of denigrating them on another
> ML.
>
> Besides: If it's not a coincidence of identical names, the only proof of any
> offer to contribute from your side I could find was an application for GSoC
> 2007, but for something completely unrelated to typographical improvements.
>

> > Even if I didn't, it is not like we are talking about some obscure
> > feature Scribus is lacking, we are talking about a DTP system that can't
> > do any sort of proper text layout, no ligatures, no small caps no proper
> > (i.e. that actually work) H&J,
>
> If I may ask: When did you try Scribus for the last time? It's true that the
> OTF "Auto" features aren't available yet (simply due to the temporary loss of
> the developer who was working on it), but the rest is there.
>
> > I'm not even talking about the complete
> > lack of any non-LGC support, fine typographic control
>
> What kind of "fine typographic control" are you missing exactly?
>
> > , or even lack of
> > other fundamental features like footnotes!

> [...]

To make it short as it is going really off-topic, and sorry I can't
comment on each point.

I realised earlier that Scribus is not the tool I'm looking for; when I
typeset text, text is my highest priority, but it is not the case with
Scribus. Life is too short, and I don't have time to argue with the
developers of every tool that I want to use, so I've to choose the
closest to my needs. I might not have any clue about printing, but I got
every thing I needed for my book (including spot colors and
overprinting) depending solely on TeX and the book have been printed and
distributed (it is not really my book, it was a collective work released
and CC but I don't want to advertise it here).

Noting is perfect, and TeX is certainly isn't, but a 90% working
solution is better than 0% one.

"Denigrating" wasn't in any way my intention, it was a "funny" remark
showing how disappointed am I with all FOSS text layout stack and
Scribus in particular. I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me, I
already invested my time in TeX and unlikely to change, so even if
Scribus magically became a usable tool for my need, I'm not going to use
it, though I'll be happy that I can point people to it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny