[OpenFontLibrary] Setting up self hosting

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 05:07:36 CET 2013

The criticism is usually based on around 2 things;
‘quality' and ‘money’.
The argument allways goes along the lines of; ‘all these free fonts are lowering type design standards’, and, ‘all these free fonts are reducing the traditional economic value of fonts’. I’m sure there’s some videos or 2 from Atypi etc.
Ironically, i agree with him, and can see his point of view (if i use my imagination). His conclusion is to strongly advise the public not to use all these ‘Free fonts’ (apart frorm the one’s he has designed, of course). I disagree on his conclusion. Mainly because i think ‘free fonts’ are a sign of very real and non-reversible technological and social changes that the web has brought. Also, i think there are positive sides to the loosening and broadening (i would not say ‘lowering’) of type design 'standards’.

-vernon