[OpenFontLibrary] WordPress & fonts, bundling vs. linking

Manuel Schmalstieg webdev at ms-studio.net
Wed Nov 13 04:00:43 PST 2013

Thanks Dave for pitching in.

Vernon, indeed that font is for the WordPress UI that is being "modernized".

Regarding filesize: a default WordPress install is pretty small, about
6.5 mb (compressed). If you include a font with a wide character set,
x 4 weights, x 4 formats (WOFF, SVG, TTF, EOT), suddenly the font
takes a significant % of the whole package...

There's some worrying that the non-subsetted version "can actually
crash some mobile browsers".

As Dave wrote, it's not trivial: "Since WordPress doesn’t have a
dynamic font subsetter, you’ll need a set of language subsets and a
set of hint subsets."

Matt Mullenweg has noted that "if we can solve this in a standalone
way (the script not loading any of the rest of WP) we avoid licensing
issues [between GPLv2, the license of WordPress, and Apache, the
license of Open Sans] and also solve a general problem many people
across the web have."