[Openicc] questions about Scribus and color management

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Dec 11 06:53:36 EST 2003

Hi List
Kai Uwe told me, that this list is close to the scribus team.
As I´m familar with DTP, color management and PDF, I have some questions
about the implementation under Scribus.

As I´m not a programmer, I may be use not the correct terms:

The Scribus Color & Imaging model
--------------------------
In the Adobe world, the Adobe programms are using the same technologies
for some basic functions like simulating correct CMYK colors via color
management at the screen or central color settings.

I think Adobe is using the same routines / modules in his applications.

If Scribus has already color management implemented, why should other
applications not use modules from scribus ?

My question to the Scribus programmer: Do you think, this makes sense ?
And if yes, can you give a short description about the scribus Color &
imaging model ?

- Could other applications use your CMYK color specifier ?
- Could other applications use your routines for displaying vector
graphics and images with color management at the monitor ?

PDF and color management
-------------------------
As I talked with some programmers, PDF is very complex format, if you
want it to colormatch to the screen or to a printing colorspace.

Can you explain, how color is handled for PDFs which are placed in Scribus ?

How is transparency handled in in Scribus especialy, if you are
generating PDF/X-3 were some flattening is necessary for transparent
objects?

SVG and color management
-------------------------
For me SVG seems to be a much better fileformat, if complex objects
should stay editable. Comparing it to EPS or PDF, which are now used for
exchangig complex objects in DTP-Workflows SVG seems for me to be the
better format.
Do you support the color management features of SVG in Scribus ?

If you support color management for displaying SVG, could other
applications use this routines ?

General question
----------------
Why not defining a Scribus imaging archtitecture, which is free for
other projects to use in the field of graphic arts ?

Last question
With some help from a friend, I was able to compile littleCMS under
MacOS X. Is it possible to compile also Scribus incl. using the color
management features of little CMS ?

--

colormanagement.de ---------- fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358