[Openicc] GIMP color management

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Feb 21 06:40:45 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Carol Spears wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:47:38PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> I agree with Bob in the library question. As an non monolythic system,
>> linux will not have one imaging library, doing all sorts of image
>> handling. The idea is nice but hardly applicable. (Even if in cairo
>> exists one of the rare candidates.)
>>
> i do not like MPL.  i don't even know a good reason not to like it, i
> just don't.  it might be for something stupid like i did not fall asleep
> during the mpl'd talks i attended.

In what way does your like/dislike of a particular license have a
bearing on a discussion of a color management model for open source
applications/systems?  This is so "off the wall", I am left confused.

I think that there is much to be learned from the Linux Standard Base
Project (http://www.linuxbase.org/).  While there is sure to be
considerable variation between libraries and applications serving
similar functions, if the common parts can be nailed down and agreed
to, then multiple libraries/applications may behave similarly on the
same system since they can share profiles, device information, and CMS
configuration options.

In order to accomplish this we need a common and reliable way to:

  o Identify managed devices.
  o Associate profiles with devices or the desired working space.
  o Manage shared configuration data, in a heirarchical way
    (network level, system level, user level, task level).

The scheme needs to work in a semi-fixed structure like Linux Standard
Base, or in individually configured/built environments (offset from
user-specifed specified installation prefix such as /usr/local).  An
XML-based configuration file format seems ideal.

Bob