[Openicc] beyond 8-bit precission [was: new version of xcalib]

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Mar 9 03:05:46 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp> wrote:

> Samsung claims that their latest plasma display delivers 10,000:1
> contrast
> ratio.  I don't know if that is believable though, and naturally you'd
> need
> to drive it with 14-bit samples (maybe less with an appropriate gamma
> curve)

Contrast ratio numbers quoted by home entertainment display vendors
are almost always on/off measurements.  This means that they turn all
of the pixels off, take the low measurement, and then turn all of the
pixels on and take the high measurement.  This results in much higher
reported contrast levels (often 10X) than the ANSI white/black squares
method.  Due to necessary biasing (no, you can't just turn off all the
transistors!), background noise, internal reflections, and
interference from other pixels, it is much more difficult to obtain
high contrast ratios when displaying actual image data.

Lately we have seen contrast enhancement tricks like adding irises to
projectors so that consistently darker images may be brought into the
usable span of the display element.  For Plasma, it is likely that
special circuitry is added to strap each element to ground for the
special case of "black".

Regardless, if a human can see 300:1, and there are only maybe 200
usable levels in 8 bit grayscale data, I am not surprised that Kai-Uwe
can see each level.

Bob