[Openicc] beyond 8-bit precission [was: new version of xcalib]

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Mar 9 04:09:03 EST 2005

I should mention that while display technologies currently operate
using absolute values, the human eye perceives the world based on the
average and max/min brightess levels in the viewing environment.  Due
to this we are able to drive our cars both during the day, and at
night.  In order to adequately view very bright or very dark scenes on
our computer displays which are used in rooms with typical brightness
(usually display brightness/contrast is adjusted to suit the room), we
must artificially adjust intensity values into the ideal range of the
display device.  It does not work to view a scene taken at night in a
similarly darkened room since the display device does not have the
resolving power (or range) to handle that.  The night scene is
therefore shown much brighter than it originally was, but this is
offset by the human tendency to view an object based on the brightness
surrounding it, and the average brightness of the overall picture.

The upshot of this is that discussions of absolute dynamic range are
almost meaningless for computer users as long as the display device
provides sufficient brightness and dynamic range to satisfy the range
of human vision in the viewing environment.  Most images have already
been adjusted (or may be adjusted) to suit the average display (sRGB).

Theater is a different situation since the average brightness of the
film is primarily selected by the film's producer so that "Dark City"
presents different display challenges than does "Snow Day".  In this
case it is necessary to use more bits so that key intensity
information is not lost.

Bob