[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint]

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Apr 12 17:44:55 EST 2005

Am 11.04.05, 10:12 -0400 schrieb Michael Sweet:

> Robert forwarded me part of this discussion about how to select
> profiles in the print path; I'll summarize what Apple has done
> for MacOS X and what we will be supporting in CUPS 1.2.
>
> Basically you add cupsICCProfile attributes to your PPD file to
> specify the output profiles for various printing modes supported
> by your device.  Normally the output profile selection is done
> automatically using the current job options (media type, color
> model, resolution, etc.), however it is also possible to include
> the cupsICCProfile attribute in a print job to select a specific
> profile, overriding the auto selection, e.g.:
>
>     lp -o cupsICCProfile=CMYK.Glossy.2880dpi filename.jpg

This selection attributes are on the level of very generic profile
selection. I cannot imagine even canned profiles would fit in well.
For instance a unichrome ink printer would beheave other than a older
model with the same parameters.

> We are *not* supporting generic filenames ("-o
> cupsICCProfile=/path/to/filename.icc") in the attribute due to
> security concerns, however it is conceivable that we could
> allow any installed profile to be referenced instead, e.g. "-o
> cupsICCProfile=filename.icc" which maps to the
> /usr/share/cups/profiles directory...

At least one user defined path should be included. Otherwise one can not
install and use profiles without administrator rights.
For further evolving of new ICC profile path standards on linux, would you
go with alternative path configurations?

How can an applications request a printer profile? This kind of
bidirectional communication is much desired.
Imagine print previews, selectable non standard gamut mappings, estimation
of colour sets.

> The following is a snippet from the ppd.shtml documentation file in
> CUPS trunk:
>
> --------------------
>
> cupsICCProfile
>
> This attribute specifies an ICC color profile of the form:
>
>     *cupsICCProfile ColorModel.MediaType.Resolution/Description: "filename"
>
> The ColorModel, MediaType, and Resolution keywords specify a selector for
> color profiles. If omitted, the color profile will match any option keyword
> for the corresponding main keyword.
>
> The Description specifies human-readable text that is associated with the
> color profile. The filename portion specifies the ICC color profile to use; if
> the filename is not absolute, it is loaded relative to the
> /usr/share/cups/profiles directory.
>
> Customizing the Profile Selection Keywords
>
> The ColorModel, MediaType, and Resolution keywords can be reassigned to
> different main keywords, allowing drivers to do color profile selection based
> on different parameters. The cupsICCQualifier1, cupsICCQualifier2, and
> cupsICCQualifier3 attributes define the mapping from selector to main keyword:
>
> *cupsICCQualifier1: MainKeyword
> *cupsICCQualifier2: MainKeyword
> *cupsICCQualifier3: MainKeyword
>
> The default mapping is as follows: