[OpenICC] colour palettes/lists

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Sep 20 17:34:34 EST 2005

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> I don´t see any way to realise Pantone Support in OSS like Scribus.
> The business model of Pantone is totaly contrare to OSS.
> The idea of Pantone is total control over spotcolor workflows with
> licensing fees on every step on the workflow.
> The goal of Pantone to is to licence its system individually to every
> software vendor.

The only practical way to solve this that I've found, is to include
spot color library compatibility for a commercial package that
comes with a licensed Pantone library. Buy a copy of that package,
for each of your systems, and then use the Pantone spot library
that comes with it for your non-commercial applications.

> So forget Pantone for OSS software.
>
> For Europe / Germany I see the HKS System as an alternative. This system
> is made by printing Ink manufacturers, which mainly want to sell Ink and
> not to earn licensing fees.

Another popular system is the NCS <www.ncscolor.com>. It tends
to be used by designers more than graphics arts through.