[OpenICC] colour palettes/lists

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Fri Sep 16 02:16:32 EST 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:

> If you can find a printshop that will do that. For the most part, our users
> are begging for Pantone support. Scribus 1.3.1cvs can handle spot colours,
> and seems to send what it needs into the files for, eg the various Adobe apps
> to recognise a commercial colour system's colour by name.

I don´t see any way to realise Pantone Support in OSS like Scribus.
The business model of Pantone is totaly contrare to OSS.
The idea of Pantone is total control over spotcolor workflows with
licensing fees on every step on the workflow.
The goal of Pantone to is to licence its system individually to every
software vendor.

They have very active lawers, which are opserving the graphic arts
market and attacking everybody, who may violates their business model.

  I will give you an example:

In 1998  wrote a good selling book about colormanagement in germany.
Part of the book were a printed color atlas of LCH/Lab colors. I also
described a software from pantone which calculated the nearest
Pantone-color for a given Lab-color.

In the color atlas, I printed informative the name of the nearest
Pantone color with a clear and highlighted explanation, that the shown
color is not identical with the orginal Pantone-color.
It should be only informative for users to compare their Pantone
swatchbook to the Lab color atlas and may be to make some measurements,
if they have a spectro.

One year later, the pantone lawyers wrote to my publisher (wich is on of
the biggest scientific publishers in Germany), that the book shouldn´t
be sold, because it would violate the Pantone licence.

Fortunatly the book was nearly sold out, and the lawyer of the
publishing house reached an agreement, that the last 100 Ex.can be sold
by the publisher.

In the second edition, I threw out every sentence, which had the name
Pantone inside...

So forget Pantone for OSS software.

For Europe / Germany I see the HKS System as an alternative. This system
is made by printing Ink manufacturers, which mainly want to sell Ink and
not to earn licensing fees.

If you are interested, I can make a contact, If they would allow an OSS
licence for the Lab- and CMYK values of there Spotcolor system.

:-) Jan-Peter

But as an alternative, I´m still interested to build a complete new
system under Creative Commons license based on the LCH colorspace.

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358
Kastanienallee 71 ------- http://www.colormanagement.de
10435 Berlin --------- mailto:homann at colormanagement.de