[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Sep 28 17:20:15 EST 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 1:20 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Am 28.09.05, 00:41 -0600 schrieb Chris Murphy:
>

>> This is why I do not like referring to "well behaved editing
>> spaces" as
>> "working spaces" which is very common. A "Working Space" is a
>> setting, which
>> started with Adobe applications. It's basically a default profile,
>> but not
>> restricted to being a default source profile. It is also a default
>> destination
>> profile in certain instances.
>>

> Which term would you suggest ?  "Editing Space" ?

editing space = intermediate space = workspace = "well-behaved (gray
balanced, uniform tone response), typically a profile with simply
three points to define the primaries, and either a gamma-based tone
response or table based such as L*RGB, but in any event the channel
tone responses are the same)". This is not a setting. It's contrasted
to a space that isn't well behaved such as a scanner space.

Working Space is a setting which implies it is a default source space
for untagged images; it can be a default destination space if one is
not otherwise specified; and it can also be be used as a default
source space, when ignoring an embedded profile (a policy option).

>>> So it would make sense to make a new default profiles field in
>>> Oraynos:
>>> - Untagged RGB-data. The name "Workspace Profile" should renamed
>>> to "RGB
>>> Workspace-Profile" CMYK Input Profile should be renamed to "CMYK
>>> Workspace Profile" Espcialy for applications like e.g. Scribus or
>>> Inkascape, such profile describes the appereance of CMYK-colors
>>> generated
>>> by the user and not only for placed content.
>>>

>> Also, "CMYK Input Profile" implies a CMYK scanner profile. An
>> input profile is
>> a profile for an input device. I think it's fair to say a CMYK
>> input profile
>> is essentially an obsolete concept today, so if it is only to be
>> used as an
>> assumed source profile, called it something like "CMYK default source
>> profile". If it's to be used as an assumed or default destination
>> profile then
>> it should probably be called a CMYK Working Space profile.
>>
>> "workspace" has the possibility of being confused with editing
>> space, because
>> even though it is very close to the Adobe term used for a kind of
>> setting
>> "Working Space" it isn't the same wording, and implies more that
>> it's an
>> editing space.
>>

> I think this was the intention; working space == editing space.

Right, that is the convention used today, in common practice among
color geeks. But it is very confusing to end users to refer to well
behaved "editing spaces" as working spaces. The reason this becomes
confusing is they say "well if I select my monitor profile, or my
scanner profile in Photoshop as the RGB Working Space, then clearly
that profile is a Working Space?! Yet the color expert is saying it's
not a working space!"

See? It's  using the same term for two different things. Not a good
idea, but it is in common usage.

>>> For a more clear user-interface it would make sense to hide the
>>> profiles
>>> for Lab and XYZ.
>>>

>> Yes. I do not understand why an end user would need to select
>> different
>> colorspace profiles like these.
>>

> As we often see device depented colour spaces for editing, we might
> specify alternatives. Ok, XYZ is maybe overkill. But as Lab can be
> better
> beheave than standard PCS/CIE Lab there should be an option. For
> editing
> in Lab, such an option might be worth to include. As well, users
> dont need
> to set anything, as Oyranos should ship with default settings. The
> profile
> defaults are for experts, which may want to change something.

This still makes no sense. Why would you need to specify different
kinds of LAB or XYZ? Just support XYZ and/or LAB directly. I don't
see why you need end-user selectable LAB and XYZ profiles.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor