[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Sep 28 17:20:55 EST 2005

Am 28.09.05, 00:41 -0600 schrieb Chris Murphy:

> This is why I do not like referring to "well behaved editing spaces" as
> "working spaces" which is very common. A "Working Space" is a setting, which
> started with Adobe applications. It's basically a default profile, but not
> restricted to being a default source profile. It is also a default destination
> profile in certain instances.

Which term would you suggest ?  "Editing Space" ?

> > So it would make sense to make a new default profiles field in Oraynos:
> > - Untagged RGB-data. The name "Workspace Profile" should renamed to "RGB
> > Workspace-Profile" CMYK Input Profile should be renamed to "CMYK
> > Workspace Profile" Espcialy for applications like e.g. Scribus or
> > Inkascape, such profile describes the appereance of CMYK-colors generated
> > by the user and not only for placed content.
>
> Also, "CMYK Input Profile" implies a CMYK scanner profile. An input profile is
> a profile for an input device. I think it's fair to say a CMYK input profile
> is essentially an obsolete concept today, so if it is only to be used as an
> assumed source profile, called it something like "CMYK default source
> profile". If it's to be used as an assumed or default destination profile then
> it should probably be called a CMYK Working Space profile.
>
> "workspace" has the possibility of being confused with editing space, because
> even though it is very close to the Adobe term used for a kind of setting
> "Working Space" it isn't the same wording, and implies more that it's an
> editing space.

I think this was the intention; working space == editing space.

> > For a more clear user-interface it would make sense to hide the profiles
> > for Lab and XYZ.
>
> Yes. I do not understand why an end user would need to select different
> colorspace profiles like these.

As we often see device depented colour spaces for editing, we might
specify alternatives. Ok, XYZ is maybe overkill. But as Lab can be better
beheave than standard PCS/CIE Lab there should be an option. For editing
in Lab, such an option might be worth to include. As well, users dont need
to set anything, as Oyranos should ship with default settings. The profile
defaults are for experts, which may want to change something.