[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Sep 29 05:01:09 EST 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Lars Borg wrote:

> In general, I agree. However, the industry also needs XYZ profiles
> with gamma other than 1. For example, the Digital Cinema
> Distribution master color space uses XYZ primaries with gamma 2.6.

OK if people are going to do things like this with their formats,
then they need to support embedded profiles. It's insanity for them
to expect people to manually associate an image gamma 2.6 based XYZ
profile to their images.

The equivalent for a car would be: in order to put the car into 2nd
gear successfully, the radio must be turned on, and the only way to
turn the radio on is for the driver to roll down the right rear
window (that's the on button). I think a collection of end users
would strip the engineer naked, paint him blue, and tie him out on
traffic signal poll at a busy intersection. And I'd support doing
this to any software engineer who expects users to manually assign/
assume the correct LAB/XYZ source profile for images. Tag them!

Maybe I'm not understanding the difficulty in doing this?!

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor