[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Sep 29 05:31:54 EST 2005

> It's probably a good assumption about JPEG although it appears to be
> contrary to the JFIF spec:
>
> JPEG File Interchange Format, Version 1.02 Standard color space The
> color space to be used is YCbCr as defined by CCIR 601 (256 levels). The
> RGB components calculated by linear conversion from YCbCr shall _not_ be
> gamma corrected (gamma = 1.0). If only one component is used, that
> component shall be Y. (http://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG)

It seems to me that the specification is specifying an internal
storage scheme which is not directly related to what is stored.  They
are saying that the storage is in Rec.601 YCbCr but without applying
the gamma correction implied by Rec.601.  What comes out should be
similar to what goes in.  It is not implying that the image itself is
in any particular RGB color space.

Bob