[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Sep 28 16:41:55 EST 2005

On Sep 15, 2005, at 6:19 AM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> Actually all the big players don´t distinguish the settings for the
> RGB-workingspace and the settings for untagged RGB-data.
> In such environments, the profile for the RGB-workingspace is
> automaticly assigned for untagged RGB-data.

I agree this is a problem.

> According W3C recommendations and IEC 61699 for consumer-devices,
> sRGB is common for untagged RGB-data.
> Assigning a large-gamut RGB-workingspace to untagged sRGB-data
> results to heavy colorshifts.

Right.

This is why I do not like referring to "well behaved editing spaces"
as "working spaces" which is very common. A "Working Space" is a
setting, which started with Adobe applications. It's basically a
default profile, but not restricted to being a default source
profile. It is also a default destination profile in certain instances.

> So it would make sense to make a new default profiles field in
> Oraynos:
> - Untagged RGB-data. The name "Workspace Profile" should renamed to
> "RGB Workspace-Profile" CMYK Input Profile should be renamed to
> "CMYK Workspace Profile" Espcialy for applications like e.g.
> Scribus or Inkascape, such profile describes the appereance of CMYK-
> colors generated by the user and not only for placed content.

Also, "CMYK Input Profile" implies a CMYK scanner profile. An input
profile is a profile for an input device. I think it's fair to say a
CMYK input profile is essentially an obsolete concept today, so if it
is only to be used as an assumed source profile, called it something
like "CMYK default source profile". If it's to be used as an assumed
or default destination profile then it should probably be called a
CMYK Working Space profile.

"workspace" has the possibility of being confused with editing space,
because even though it is very close to the Adobe term used for a
kind of setting "Working Space" it isn't the same wording, and
implies more that it's an editing space.

> For a more clear user-interface it would make sense to hide the
> profiles for Lab and XYZ.

Yes. I do not understand why an end user would need to select
different colorspace profiles like these.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor