[Openicc] OpenIccForGoogleSoC2007 online

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Mar 8 09:08:50 PST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 22:28, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Welcome Hal on the OpenICC GSoC projects list.
>
> Your projects are covering some common ground.
>
> Would you mind in formulating the DDC and DDC/CI stuff as a
> independent library? Thus these projects interesst potentially new
> mentors. As well the ddccontrol project would be nice to mention as a good
> starting point.

I am 100% in line with this.  In addition I would like any library to be OS
independent if possible.  But if nothing else having a library for this stuff
available for xorg based systems would be a significant improvement over our
current situation.  Also as a side note MS Vista now has what appears to be a
complete DDC/CI API.  So perhaps any xorg API could be modeled on the Vista
API to make it easier to create higher level OS independent wrapper
libraries.

> A usual requirement is to run monitor state queries without root
> privilegs.
> Possibly this projects needs some way of integration into Xorg or HAL too
> and they are interessted in bringing in their knowledge.

I have never been able to get ddccontrol to work on my system but perhaps
there are issues with my hardware or video drivers and I have not
investigated this in any detail.  At one point they approached the lm_sensors
project with a request to add the ddccontrol functionality to lm_sensors.
Never really made sense to me since I didn't understand how this in anyway
could fit into lm_sensors.  I think this should be part of xorg and I think
if the ddccontrol folks were approached with a proposal to integrate their
functionality into xorg that they would be delighted.  So I agree that it is
a good starting point and that their team would bring a lot of expertise to
the table.