[Openicc] measurement device API

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Mar 8 10:54:43 PST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:10, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> What about a measurement device API for a GSoC project?
>
> Each application with measurement capabilities uses its own driver API,
> which is a waste of resources.
> Measurement applications could use a standard API as it is common
> practice for other devices. This API does not yet exist.
>

> A API for something like asking for adapted devices, select and run
> mesurements with a device could be created. A license compatibility module
> must be included to avoid GPL - closed source and similiar conflicts.
> Is someone interessted to work as a mentor?
>

> regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann

I agree that there should be a common high level measurement device API and a
library that supports a wide range of devices.  But in this case it needs to
be cross platform not just for linux/unix systems.  If needed I would be OK
with a GPL type license to be able to leverage the existing work that has
been done in this area.  But I would prefer something like an LGPL license if
that were possible.

I think the measurement device API idea might be a little outside of the scope
of GoogleSoC ideas (perhaps not but it will be a big project unless the
existing work can be leveraged which might be an issue) but it does bring to
mind something that I had mentioned to Kai-Uwe off list.  Perhaps we should
add a page to the OpenICC wiki were we can document things like the
measurement device API/library that needs to be done and possibly even track
these as progress is made.   For example we could add links to project
tracker items as projects start work on items listed on this page  Some
examples:

1. Some video drivers do not correctly support setting gamma LUTs in some
modes.  For example the proprietary nvidia drivers in twinview mode and at
least some open source drivers in mergefb mode will only let you set one
gamma table that affects all monitors.  Presumably RandR 1.2 will fix this
issue but as far as I know none of the existing video drivers support RandR
1.2 (I know the nvidia driver does not) and it will likely be many months
before this support is implemented.

2. DDC/CI in xorg as we have already talked about.

3. Generalized color management control panel API for X based systems.  The
SoC page has a KDE project for this but I would like to see something that
was generalized to work on any X based machine.  Perhaps a base API/library
that could have KDE, Gnome, GTK, Qt... front ends.  But the SoC project could
start with a KDE front end.   In fact I would like to see the SoC proposal
changed to generalize this item a little to include the creation of a
generalized X CM control panel library and a KDE (or perhaps Qt) front end.

4. CM support in the guten-print drivers.

The above are only a few things that I can think of off the top of my head in
a few minutes.  I am sure that I could come up with many more without too
much effort.  In addition, if there was a place to collect these I am sure
that this group would both add many that I didn't think of and refine these
items after they are added to better reflect what we really need.  Then next
year when SoC comes along we will have a list of well documented items that
we can use as a basis for next years SoC application in addition to having a
list of items that can be used to help direct other projects in the right
direction.

Hal