[Openicc] measurement device API

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere at teaser.fr
Thu Mar 8 11:00:16 PST 2007

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> I agree that there should be a common high level measurement device API and a
> library that supports a wide range of devices.  But in this case it needs to
> be cross platform not just for linux/unix systems.  If needed I would be OK
> with a GPL type license to be able to leverage the existing work that has
> been done in this area.  But I would prefer something like an LGPL license if
> that were possible.

LGPL would also be preferable to have this API used in the free desktops
and potentially be part of them. Both Gnome and KDE, the 2 major one,
have a policy about library licensing that makes GPL explicitly excluded.

There is more than just allowing non-free software to use it. There is
also the GPL-incompatibility problems: several free software licenses
are not GPL compatible but still remain free software.

Hub