[Openicc] measurement device API

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Fri Mar 16 04:13:15 PDT 2007

Gerard Klaver wrote:
> Reason for this email is that a large part of the device interface i
> expect can be handeled by the SANE backend api. Using this can speed up
> development for color meters a lot.
>
> The frontend programs like LPROF, ARGYLL using the SANE API are then
> able to get the data from the color meters.
> (each different color on screen is a scan for the color meter).

Argyll has its own instrument API (argyll/spectro/inst.h), as well as
a backend API for talking serial or USB to an instrument (argyll/spectro/icoms.h).
These have the effect of insulating programs that need to use instruments
(display calibration, display profiling, print profiling), from instrument
specifics, and insulating the instrument drivers from the OS specifics
(MSWindows, OSX, *nix). In the code I'm currently working on, 13 different
instruments are currently supported.