CMM support (Was: Re: [Openicc] google SoC starts)

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Fri Mar 16 15:54:53 PDT 2007

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> By this analysis, a program becomes subject to GPL if it is able to
> execute GNU gawk or GNU bash.  An operating system becomes subject to
> GPL if it is capable of running one of these programs.  This does not
> compute.  Please reset and try again. :-)

Yes, that's correct. I can't ship a closed source bash script together
with bash if the overall work functions by one using the other, since
the overall work is derived from the GNU code. Linux would be subject to the
same sort of implications, if it wasn't that it has an explicit exception
inserted into it's GPL licence. Some distro's ran into trouble recently
when they tried to ship closed source X11 drivers with GNU code.

The definition of "derived work" isn't that complicated - the U.S. copyright
law one is quite well explained by on line resources. Most computer
people seem to stop at the first definition of derived work though (modifying
a work) whereas there are several types, including "collective work". The GNU
licence doesn't restrict itself to a specific type of derived work, and by
my reading of it, this is quite intentional.

If you think it "doesn't compute", perhaps you should take a look at the
definition of derived work, and then read the GNU licence again, and get
back with specific flaws in my interpretation or reasoning.