CMM support (Was: Re: [Openicc] google SoC starts)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Mar 16 16:30:39 PDT 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
>> By this analysis, a program becomes subject to GPL if it is able to
>> execute GNU gawk or GNU bash.  An operating system becomes subject to GPL
>> if it is capable of running one of these programs.  This does not compute.
>> Please reset and try again. :-)
>
> Yes, that's correct. I can't ship a closed source bash script together
> with bash if the overall work functions by one using the other, since
> the overall work is derived from the GNU code. Linux would be subject to the
> same sort of implications, if it wasn't that it has an explicit exception
> inserted into it's GPL licence. Some distro's ran into trouble recently
> when they tried to ship closed source X11 drivers with GNU code.

Graeme,

You are making things much more difficult than they need to be.  If a
GPL'ed package has an option to use CMS, then a CMS package with
freely redistributable (with modifications allowed) source can be
provided along with the package if the package needs a CMS to run.
Or the user can be instructed to download one of CMS packages A (GPL
licenced), B (MIT licensed), or C (Adobe product), whichever she
prefers and install it for use with her GPLed package.  GPL places no
limits on *use* of binary software other than for redistribution.
GPL programs are allowed to use non-GPL'ed source packages as long as
their redistribution terms meet certain requirements.

In most cases, a CMS will not be required for an application to
function.  If the CMS is available, then the application will be able
to provide additional features offered by the CMS.  This is no
different than a text editing package which has an option to use a
external program called 'spell'.  If an external 'spell' program
(several available with different licenses) is not available, then
spwell checking is not available.

In the case of your closed source bash script with bash, it is clear
that since bash uses the GPL license, its source must be distributed
as per GPL regardless.

Bob