[Openicc] Free YCbCr icc profile?

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Mar 19 05:24:50 PDT 2007

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Does anyone know whether there is somewhere a free YCbCr icc profile for use
> with lcms? If not -- how hard would it be to create one? We support YCbCr in
> Krita but in a limited way due to the lack of a profile.

It's actually difficult to create such a profile, because while
the ICC spec. has a tag for YCbCr space, it doesn't define
it's encoding. This means that while it's possible to create
a YCbCr profile for a particular CMM wired up to a particular
YCbCr "device", there's no such thing as an interchangeable
YCbCr space profile. This seems to reflect the view of many
of the ICC that such spaces are "device dependent", and therefore
shouldn't have a defined encoding.