[Openicc] Monitor Configuration discussion

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Aug 12 12:08:38 PDT 2007

On Sunday 12 August 2007 03:44, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after Hal V. Engel repsonded recently on the xorg list to a LCD backlight
> question, I tried to collect some links to get the matter more compact and
> help new developers in finding some information and specifications.
>
> ColourWiki site:
> http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Monitor_Configuration
>
> My impression is, without such pages it is much harder to get X and other
> project developers in one boat with our colour management requirements.
>

> regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann
> --
> developing for colour management
> www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org

Kai-Uwe is correct about the need for having a public location that has
information that details what functionality is needed, in X and other system
libraries, to support color management.  But is the oyranos wiki visible
enough?   I think having this information on the OpenICC wiki would be more
visible to X.Org developers.  In addition, I think we should use the OpenICC
wiki as a platform for writing specifications and/or requirements
documentation related to color management.

It is fairly clear to me that there is interest in the X.Org development
community in color management and that the level of interest has been
growing.  But many X.Org developers do not appear to consider it to be a high
priority; perhaps, in part, because there are few documents that detail our
requirements.  So we have a situation were the functionality needed for color
management is not getting implemented as quickly as we would like.  After all
how can we expect the X.Org developers to work on this functionality if we
are not willing to at least document what we want them to do?

I would be willing to spend some time working on this if there is enough
interest that others are willing to also contribute.

Hal