[Openicc] gsoc

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Sep 3 14:59:47 PDT 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 04:59:14 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a gentle reminder that GSoC 2007 is now over and it would be
> great to have an update on both of our projects whenever mentors feel
> comfortable about it ;-)
>
> Alexandre

Here is a preliminary update.

1. Three new profiling targets are now supported.  Bringing the total number
of supported targets to seven.   LProf CVS now has support for the following
profiling targets.

IT8.7 - all three flavors.  This is not new.

Hutch Color Target.  This support went in before the GSoC midterm.  It has
been fairly well tested on Linux and Windows.  It should work on OS/X as well
but is likely untested at this time.  Tracker #1294751

GretagMacbeth ColorChecker 24 patch, SG and DC targets.  CC 24 support has
been in place for a while and is not new.  The CC SG and DC support went in
just before project completion and it is working on Windows.  Current CVS has
issues on *nix systems with these targets related to file system security.
The student has code that works on *nix systems and should have this in CVS
in a few days.   I will be adding some additional things to the LProf
build/install scripts in the next few days to fully support this on
non-Windows platforms.   The CC DC and SG support is still alpha level code,
is likely buggy and needs more testing.  If you have one of these targets and
would like to do some testing please let me know. Tracker #1545504

One of the issues encountered was that we were not able to obtain a sample
reference file for the ColorChecker DC.  X-Rite was non-responsive when I
asked for a sample reference file.  Support for the CC DC target was
implemented with the assumption that the CC DC reference files were the same
format as the CC SG reference files.  IE. That these were both Logo spectral
data files.  If anyone here has access to a reference file for a ColorChecker
DC target please get back to me.

2. A long existing bug that prevented the reference file selector from
sometimes working correctly when there were non-reference files in the same
directory has been fixed.  Tracker #1533542

3. Users no longer need to select a template when installing a reference file.
The reference file installer will figure out what type of reference file it
is installing and automatically select the correct template.  This was not
part of the original proposal but the student discovered that the code he was
putting in place to support the HCT targets made this possible and we decided
to add this feature.  This greatly simplified the UI for the reference file
installer and removes a possible source of user errors (IE. users can no
longer select an incorrect template). Tracker #1745796

4. There is now much more checking done when a reference file is installed to
make sure that users are installing a valid reference file and to prevent
issues with users trying to install a non-reference file.  There is no
tracker item for this.

5. The Windows build for LProf is working and is now in CVS.  This was not
working prior to the start of the project.  Tracker #1732351

6. An existing bug where sometimes on Windows machines the reference file
installer would return a file path that was missing a slash "/" has been
fixed.  This is a significant bug in existing Windows releases and accounts
for perhaps 30% of all support requests from Windows users.  Tracker #1734219

Overall I would rate the project a success.  The student working on this is
just starting his third year of undergraduate work.  So even though most of
what he worked on would have been fairly simple for a more experienced
programmer it was a stretch for him considering his education and experience
level.  The student reports that he learned a lot from the project.  I had
decided early on that this would be one of my main criteria for measuring the
success of the project.  In addition, the completed items add significant new
functionality to LProf and LProf is now one of only a handful of profilers
that supports every profiling target available.

Over all 11 of 15 items related to this in the tracker system were closed
before the official end of the project.  The student as agreed to stick
around until all 11 of the closed items are stable and to also finish 1 of
the remaining open items.  Considering the experience level of the student
working on this I feel that he accomplished about as much as I would have
expected.

Hal