[Openicc] seeking for advice on rendering intent and black point compensation

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Thu Oct 4 00:11:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 16:21 +1000, Graeme Gill wrote:

> > When you face this sort of user level distinction, it can be worth
> > having an expandable dialog where a ">>" or whatever button shows
> > advanced options (and once tabbed open, remembers its state). The
> > GTK+/GNOME file dialog takes this approach, and while I don't much like
> > how they did it, the principle is sound.
>
> I'm not sure this would be of help in the case, since
> ultimately we're talking about whether the user is presented with
> a dialog or not. Some would like to be asked every time
> an embedded profile mismatches the workings space, some
> would prefer that the application quietly convert the
> colorspace.

No, this has already been taken care of. There's a setting in the
preferences dialog that specifies whether GIMP should ask or quietly do
the conversion or quietly keep the color space. The dialog also has a
toggle that allows the user to change this setting directly.

So that is not the problem. I still don't think that putting more
options into an expander is a good idea. Currently the dialog is a
simple Keep/Convert question. Adding an expander with options that only
affect one of the choices would be somewhat akward.

Anyway, the remaining questions are

(1) whether a separate preferences option is needed for the default
conversion intent (to make it distinct from the settings for display
intent)

(2) whether separate preference options need to be added to control the
black-point-compensation flag for display color correction, color
profile transformations and for print simulation

Sven