[Openicc] seeking for advice on rendering intent and black point compensation

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 00:46:21 PDT 2007

Am 04.10.07, 09:11 +0200 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> No, this has already been taken care of. There's a setting in the
> preferences dialog that specifies whether GIMP should ask or quietly do
> the conversion or quietly keep the color space. The dialog also has a
> toggle that allows the user to change this setting directly.
>
> So that is not the problem. I still don't think that putting more
> options into an expander is a good idea. Currently the dialog is a
> simple Keep/Convert question. Adding an expander with options that only
> affect one of the choices would be somewhat akward.

As stated already this seems for some users too simple, but may fit your
current
<Sven> GIMP 2.4 will have rudimentary color management</Sven>
approach.
A final dialog should behave like, once a conversion dialog is shown all
appropriate options should be selectable (target ICC profile, Rendering
Intent, BPC).

> Anyway, the remaining questions are
>
> (1) whether a separate preferences option is needed for the default
> conversion intent (to make it distinct from the settings for display
> intent)

Not so. Alastair refered to per image or window rendering intent setting.
One rendering intent for colour space conversion and display conversion
in preferences is common practise.

Instead, adding a proofing intent option in the preferences, which is
quite commonly different from the other intent setting, would qualify your
application further.

> (2) whether separate preference options need to be added to control the
> black-point-compensation flag for display color correction, color
> profile transformations and for print simulation

Yes, always. Otherwise your application would run into the relative
colorimetric without BPC pitfal.
Adaption to Craigs 5 rendering intent combination, which was agreed upon
in this thread, would give a modern shine to your app. Just it is not a
1:1 mapping to lcms.

www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org