[Openicc] seeking for advice on rendering intent and black point compensation

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Oct 5 04:22:33 PDT 2007

Am 05.10.07, 11:31 +0100 schrieb Alastair M. Robinson:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > The question is now whether the
> > preferences for this conversion should be shared with the preferences
> > for the display color correction. As far as I understand you, you
> > disagree with this and suggest to add another preference option (or two
> > if BPC is kept separate).
>
> That would be my preference, yes - as I said before, converting between
> working spaces is a different operation from converting from a working
> space to output profile.  And adjusting the display properties to
> "trick" GIMP into converting image data differently is not intuitive.

You suggest to add a additional (because it is not common sense to use
such thing elsewhere) preference for editing versus display rendering
intent. This, because the load time conversion dialog shall be simple and
at the same time you feel the need of creating a back door to control the
load dialog behaviour by the preferences.
Thats neighter clean design nor intuitive.

For a collection of application colour management preference dialogs see:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Applications

I found the Gimp screenshot quite ok there. Only the
"Softproof rendering intent" choice could be placed more near to the
"Print simulation profile" choice and make the names more coordinated:
For instance:
"Softproof rendering intent" + "Softproof profile"
But these are minor issues.

www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org