[Openicc] ICC Profiles In X Specification

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Oct 6 00:14:41 PDT 2007

Am 06.10.07, 00:07 +0200 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 23:53 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
> > > GDK, speaks about displays, screens and monitors. A display may have
> > > multiple screens. A screen may have multiple monitors.
> >
> > The difference about Xinerama screens and monitors is that, Xinerama must
> > not at all know about each monitors. Even so it would be desireable.
>
> Can you point me to a document explaining this issue? As far as I know,
> the X server knows very well about the monitors in a Xinerama setup. To
> an application, the fact that there are multiple monitors is mostly
> transparent. But it can query the server for the monitor info.

$ man xorg.conf | grep Xinerama
         Option "Xinerama"  "boolean"

It becomes obvious at least in xorg 6.x.
(7.2 refuses to run dualhead with my non EDID monitor.)

The multi head non Xinerama setup is handled by the ICC in X spec 0.2. Of
course where one get the information about geometry is an other thing.
Oyranos includes a small utility to query the EDID atoms by Xext calls.
With the EDID atoms set, Oyranos can continue and successfully select and
set the _ICC_PROFILE(_x) atoms. It knows not about geometries.

I am afraid, the dual head non Xinerama case is more widespread than would
be desireable.

www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org