[Openicc] ICC Profiles In X Specification

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Sat Oct 6 04:51:14 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 09:14 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> > Can you point me to a document explaining this issue? As far as I know,
> > the X server knows very well about the monitors in a Xinerama setup. To
> > an application, the fact that there are multiple monitors is mostly
> > transparent. But it can query the server for the monitor info.
>
> $ man xorg.conf | grep Xinerama
>          Option "Xinerama"  "boolean"

Sorry, but that doesn't answer my question. Your answers managed to
confuse me quite a bit. So it would be nice if you could try to give a
short explanation of the terminology as you are using it.

As far as I know there are two possible configurations for a dual-head X
server. Either it is configured to have two screens. Then each screen
has it's own root window on which the _ICC_PROFILE property can be set.
Or it is a Xinerama setup. This means that there's one screen that spans
two monitors. This is where the _ICC_PROFILE_X properties are used for.
Is this not correct?

> The multi head non Xinerama setup is handled by the ICC in X spec 0.2.

As far as I can see, the spec handles both the Xinerama and the
non-Xinerama multi-head setups just fine.

Sven