[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Nov 12 13:35:54 PST 2007

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> I opened a support ticket with ColorVision and asked for support for their
> Spyder 3 line of color meters.  Here is their reply:
>
> Our current policy does not allow for distribution of our drivers and SDKs to
> parties who provide OpenSource solutions, or allow third parties to access
> our devices via their routines. So I do not believe I can assist you in
> supporting the Spyder3 devices.

Yes, they appear to have the "interesting" attitude that since they
manufacture the instrument, they have the right to control what
their customers do with it. The practical mechanism for exercising
this control, is to control access to their SDK.

I wonder if their customers would be happy with such an attitude,
if they were aware of it ? I know that I as a customer, find such
an attitude of interference in my use of goods that I've legally
purchased, obnoxious.