[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Nov 12 19:21:59 PST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> The fact that he says people are asking for an SDK suggests to me just
> how wide the gulf is.  I think it's much more likely that people are
> asking for the programming specs for the hardware, not an SDK.  A
> proprietary interface to a binary-only library with functionality
> restricted to what ColorVision thinks is important isn't likely to be
> too interesting to the kind of hard core *IX people who want this kind
> of device.

A bit of research will likely reveal that the profit margins from
associated software are much greater than the margins associated with
the measurement device.  They probably feel that if they give away the
hardware interface, someone will create software which undercuts their
own products.  In fact, it may be a commercial competitor which takes
advantage of the hardware but offers much more sophisticated
software, or offers the same thing at a better price.

Bob